Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Reed's Musical Christmas Advent Calendar

Each year, my mother would pick one out for my sisters and me to help us count down the days until to Christmas.

I can still feel the glitter on the cardboard and see the brightly decorated scene closed with the flaps, one for each day. And I can remember how hard it was to resist opening them all at once, which was a real no-no. Who would dare risk Mother's - or Santa's - wrath?

I continued the tradition with my daughters, and the search to find just the right calendar brought joy to my early Christmas seasons. One year, a miniature Nativity scene was formed as the girls opened the doors to find plastic sheep, camels, Wise Men and, of course, Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus.

I have not gone hunting Advent calendar in a while, but I thought I would continue the tradition this year with a listing of holiday music.

Unlike my 2008 list - which was more old school - this group is more eclectic. And it features a number songs and artists that I have discovered during recent years' Christmas music searches. It includes songs that make me happy, inspire me or add a little hop to my step.

I love Christmas music, and I know you do, too. I hope this list will add a bit of holiday cheer.

So here is my 2009 Christmas Musical Advent Calendar. It is designed so that you can "open" one song each day, starting today, the first day of Advent, with the last track set for Christmas morning.

No comments: